Monday, October 27, 2008

good idea. bad idea.

Lately, I have been feeling a little crafty. It might be the constant roaming and stalking on blogs... and seeing everyone's little ideas. There have been a few projects that I am very proud of and one in particular that I have deemed as a FAILURE.
One weekend, Ani and I decided to paint the frames of our mirrors. Ani, being the smarter Van Buskirk sister decided to go with her favorite color of all time, butter yellow. This color also matches her room decor. I on the other hand think I am really artsy and daring decided to go with my favorite color of the season ORANGE... Actually, I believe the actual color name is "Poppy Orange."
AHEM: BAD IDEA
Now, I have my fair share of POPPY ORANGE in my closet. I Guess it looks better ON me than on my wall... Considering the fact that my room has the tranquil colors of mint green and teals, this ORANGE mirror was a BIG mistake. What was I thinking? The world may never know. I guess I was trying to give my room a face-lift if you will - A more modern spin of bright and wacky colors... Shoot.
You may ask, "Well Alix, what are some of the good ideas and projects you have done?"
Well, my fine friends, I am very proud to show you some of my best work. POST-ORANGE-DRAMA.
1. The MousePad Makeover:
I just purchased a plain mouse pad from one of my trips to IKEA. Seriously folks, these babies are ONE DOLLA. Then I went to the local fabric store and bought fabric adhesive and ironed on the fabric! VOILA! BEAUTISIMO! What a lovely accent next to my workspace. It surely brightens up my day.
2. The old Frame rev-up:




All I did was find some cheap old frames at the local thrift store and some acrylic paint at the craft store... and a nice little addition to my oh-so plain room appeared. I love this color too... ( as you can see on my shelves - I have a blue picture frame and blue boxes.) I really don't think you can get enough of this color. Seriously. I am a huge fan of painting things that are just looking a little dull or plain. If you just add some color and artistic flair - or maybe just a paintbrush, you can make seemingly ordinary - even UGLY things, into beautiful accents to a room.

3 comments:

Darren and Brandi said...

oh alix, you're funny. good ideas though! i love them! are you going to repaint your mirror now or leave it poppy orange???

Brittany said...

i LOVE it! I have recently purchased a sewing machine to show my artistic flair...I'm still trying to perfect it.

Alix said...

haha Brandi... I am going to repaint it. It's just a matter of actually doing it. I mean, once I've already done it, the novelty has worn off... lol
and Britt, I really want a sewing machine! I have been wanting one for a long time! We should make things together and be famous