Tuesday, February 21, 2012

ahhh c'est l'amour

ok.
Just for a minute, can we talk about the fact that I am getting married less than 19 days to the man of my most fantastic dreams?
It is absolute craziness around these parts. Wedding planning in full-force with a thousand and one things to do each day. (That's what I get for being the world's best procrastinator. You might as well give my my trophy now.)
It's quite possible that between my phone shattering, changing venues last minute, and losing over $2,000 cash in a Subway, my brian chemistry has been only SLIGHTLY altered. (Maybe I had 20 million melt downs, maybe I didn't.) Let's just say that I have been struggling - to say the least.
Listen, I don't want you to get the wrong idea.
I am over the MOON to marry the Kirky Lirky.
And I LOVE to plan events and parties.
I'm not usually the one who these events and parties are for, so there is a little bit of awkwardness that takes over me when people ask me wedding questions.
For example, the florist:
Me: "Hi. Make me a bouquet."
Florist: "Ok. What do you want?"
Me: "Uhhh... I don't know, you're the florist."
Ok, so it didn't go EXACTLY like that, and the florist was actually way awesome.
However, it's difficult for me to tell people what I want because I don't really know what it is that I want from them. Just give me something pretty. Give me something delicious. Make it look good. That's all I ask. Then I realize, people are different, and what they think may look good to them may not look good to me. This, my friends is what I refer to as an epiphany.
Weird that other people think the things I like aren't pretty and cool and with that same token, there are people out there who like ugly things. Strange it is my friends, strange indeed.

Listen. I have been meaning to tell all sorts of tales of happiness and life changing moments during this wedding planning process. But, you know me, I am a realist (or as some people call it, a pessimist. Whatever.) And at the end of the day, all my thoughts go back to what I wasn't able to get done and why. So it's easy to see that all I want to do is curl up in my heated blanket and dream of dreams in the sandy, tropical beaches with my lover... who is also my friend.
What I want to tell you about is the part when Kirk and I went to get our marriage license and how Kirk refused to register to vote. So naturally, I wrote in big capital letters on a voter's registration form,
"KIRK ROY OUIMET IS A CONSPIRATOR AGAINST THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT! HE CANNOT BE TRUSTED!"
And found the nearest security camera to expose the truth while Kirk scrambled to destroy the evidence. (Which looks sketchy enough in my humble opinion.)
Or the part when Kirk and I were apartment hunting and every single place we looked at was a dump, and how we would take our time going through each room acting as if it were a mansion and later laughing about it over McFlurries and Diet Coke.
I mean, those are the moments that MATTER people!
So, this is what I reflect on when I do lose money in a sandwich shop, or when I shatter my phone. Or when the wedding day seems more overwhelming than anything else in the world. I gotta go back to my roots and remember why I am even PLANNING this wedding in the first place.
And that reason is love.






No comments: