Saturday, July 30, 2011

NYC: DAY 2

Yo people.
Day 2 was all sorts of awesome.
I slept in until noon. Some of you may think I'm crazy because who would do that in a new city? The answer to that is ME. I would. I sleep in on trips. It makes for a much more smoother trip when I am well rested and happy. OK?
Little did I know, this was a good thing because Kirk was working out all the kinks and details of the proposal.
We finally got outside and did some adventuring.
Kirk's friend mapped out a TON of things we should do and we literally did ONE of those things. New York is not a city of many things in one day unless you start early in the morning.
Kirk and I wandered around Wall Street and saw Ground Zero.
Kirk's friend Nick (Nick is probably the person we can credit for our recent engagement... actually probably to credit for the entire relationship. Maybe a blog post on the story of Kirk and Alix is necessary. If you are all interested.)
Anyway, turns out, Nick was in NYC and so we met up with him for a little lunch around the Hudson River? (I'm not sure, but it was a waterfront.)
Nick took us to his hotel room where he had an amazing view of ground zero. That place is breathtaking. I stared at it in awe... the fear and emotions from that day were palpable.

After that, Nick took us on our first ride on a subway. I recommend a tour guide for New York. Especially the subways... I don't know how people ride those things everyday - mostly in the summertime. It. WAS. HOT. Kirk likened it to walking into the pits of hell. Kirk knows...?
But seriously.
We made it to downtown and did some shopping at H&M. It was magical. I got many awesome things and so did Kirk. It was one of the first times Kirk and I had enjoyable shopping experiences together. Usually I shop by my lonesome. :)
After doing some damage at H&M, we walked up 5th AVE and happened upon Rockefeller Plaza.
We took the elevators to the very top and the elevator was SO cool. They make the top clear and you can see inside the elevator shaft as you ride up and down. It was weird and made me a little nauseous, but awesome at the same time. The views were AMAZING. This city is GINORMOUS! We spent a long time up there just soaking up the views and feeling the energy - the hustle and bustle even at 10pm.


I secretly wished we would see a famous face but no such luck. Not many celebrity sitings occur on Sunday nights at 30 Rock.
After 30 Rock, we ran into a nice little magician man who stole our attention... he showed us a few card tricks and made me a lovely balloon animal. I believe his name was Merlin (how original.)
We walked over to Time Square and it was nuts! SO MANY PEOPLE! It was like daytime in the middle of the night.
Kirk got sucked in to get a caricature of us and it turned out looking nothing like us! haha I tried to warn him!

At this point, we were exhausted... we tried to take a subway back to the hotel but one of the trains closes after midnight and we could not figure out how to get back. Well, I'm sure we would be able to figure it out I mean, I had a map and all... but, it was so dang hot.
(the subway, almost unbearable.)
We had to jump to different subway entrances and Kirk had enough of the million degree subways. His lips were all white and he was really pale... He looked like he was going to pass out. So we gave in and took a cab to our final destination.
WHEW! We were happy to be in a nice air conditioned room and happy planning our next day. :)

No comments: