Thursday, January 20, 2011

experiment.


First of all, is anyone else enjoying the Christmas theme on my blog? Because I'm too lazy to change it so it may be there for longer. Whatever. I FINALLY put my Christmas decorations away TODAY. Yeah, that's how I roll and it's ok.
Moving on.
A few days ago, Kirk was telling me that his professor conducted an experiment with his students to see if people could differentiate between Pepsi and Coke.
EVERYONE FAILED.
There was even a kid in his class who proclaimed himself a die-hard Coke fan through and through.
And when he sipped the Pepsi he said, "YUP. That is the good stuff."
How embarrassing.
Upon hearing this story, I told Kirk that I would be able to figure out the difference between Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke because I drink like 37,986 Diet Cokes a day.
And also because I used to be a Pepsi fan.
But once I tasted the sweet nectar of Diet Coke I was immediately converted. Yes friends, that is how it all began.
Anyway, Kirk took my dare and we went to the local grocery store and purchased bottles of Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi and Diet off-brand Cola... Just to mix it up a little.
We invited Ani and Jason to participate as well.
Kirk poured 3 glasses of each flavor and we had to guess which was in each cup. We were also supposed to label each cup from most to least favorite.
Ani smelled each of them and declared she already knew the answers without taking a sip.
It took me quite some time to figure it out, but I wrote down my answers knowing I was right.
When the flavors were revealed the only person who got all of them right was Ani. And she claimed Diet Coke was her favorite. (Winner.)
I got Diet Coke right and that was also my favorite flavor. I couldn't figure out the difference between the off-brand an Pepsi. Which has stopped me from buying off-brand Pepsi. Sorry. (2nd Place.)
Jason's answers were the funniest to me.
Ani and I probably spend roughly $60 collectively on Diet Coke per month. I know, it's a little excessive but that's a Diet Coke each a day from McDonald's. So whatever.
Of course Jason thinks we're nuts and could save SO much more money by buying the off-brand because there is no difference.
So Jason claimed cup #2 was off brand and that it was his FAVORITE.
Clearly he was wrong and he claimed DIET COKE as his FAVORITE!
BOO YA. He loses. We win.
And now we can buy Diet Coke forever without a single complaint from Mr. Bosler. (Jason.)

And that, my friends, is how I came to know my true (embarrassing) love for Diet Coke to be real.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Oh Alix. I'm so glad we share a common love for DC. I know we already knew that we did, but I just wanted to say that I'm happy about it.

Ani said...

That was the funniest thing when Jason was like off brand oh ya my fave... turned out to be real diet coke :) Oh ya we rock. lol

Darren and Brandi said...

I LOVE doing stuff like that! Last summer when we were staying at Darren's parents house (because his family was in town) we took a peanut butter taste test. It was awesome! Except for the fact that I was totally wrong haha But it turns out that I like western family's off brand better than JIF... who knew??

Also, for the record, I don't know how you can possibly drink that much coke. I can't even finish one. I'll stick with safeway's brand of strawberry pop :)

Grace said...

ha! i totally thought i could tell the difference too, but i was wrong when i got tested on it! also- love the blog!! i'll be reading more often!