Thursday, October 6, 2011

the story of engagement pictures.

Engagement photos are hard.
First of all, I am the awkward queen of North America.
How on earth can I make them look the way that I want without trying so hard?
Secondly, I have found that I like it when pictures look unintentional and not so overly edited.
My friend Tessa has been taking film photos for some time and I have always loved her work.
We scheduled a session for this afternoon somewhere outside in some awesome places but, unfortunately it was pouring rain.
Definitely put a damper on our session but we decided to go with the flow and just try out a few indoor places to see if we could get some good pictures.
We went to the local grocery store and just improvised.
Tessa has explained a few key things about film photography that make a really good picture and one of the things was avoiding the flash.
It was difficult because grocery stores have terrible lighting but, I really like how some of these turned out!
I love the rustic look of these and how they look almost raw. 
SUCCESS!
Of course we are going to have a few other photoshoots (with some seriously awesome ideas.)
Be excited for when those come! 
Here are a few of my favorites!




We finished up at the grocery store and kind of thought we should find some other indoor spaces that have good lighting. Kirk offered up his office - there are brick walls, a fireplace and dark wood floors. It's quite industrial looking and we thought it might look good in photos. I had never seen it before and as it turns out, it's way too dark in his office for any sort of photoshoot to happen. 
However, the office is located right next to the train tracks and as we were walking back to the car we just thought, "Hey, let's just take some pictures here..."
I LOVED the way the colors look in those pictures. Oh my goodness. 
Can you just see how good the lighting looks outside?

Kirk's office is also located above a consignment shop that Tess and I could not pass up shopping through.
We found these little brass deer for $3 each and had to have them. How cute are they?

P.S. Did I mention that ALL of these pictures are COMPLETELY unedited? Amazing.

6 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Pretty nails! and that is the perfect dress!!!

Katie said...

If the lighting would allow it, you should get a super amazing umbrella and take them in the rain!! The apple orchard by our apartment is a beautiful place to pictures too. I also love this historical park (I'm hoping the name will eventually come to me) that has beautiful old homes, buildings, and amazing trees to take pictures by! I'll work on the name of that place...I just love these pictures :)

Katie said...

Wheeler Farm

Madison said...

Alix Van B. You are not the awkward queen of North America. You are absolutely stunning and classy and lovely and this photos are perfect! I LOVE THEM! And your hair looks fantastic. Wow wow wow!

Madison said...

And by "this photos" I mean these.

Darren and Brandi said...

they turned out super cute alix! can't wait to see more!