Wednesday, November 23, 2011

a dress story.

The time has come for me to knuckle down and do something important for the impending nuptials taking place in March.
I make it sound like the world is going to end. And so what if I am a negative Nancy about planning my own wedding? Have I ever mentioned that before? Are you sick of it?
I met with the oh-so-very talented Melissa Blackburn to whip up a wedding dress of the century. A wedding dress fit for a queen. Let me tell ya, when you see it, you will DEFINITELY think Kim Kardashian/royal wedding status. Only kidding.
Since she is working with probably the most indecisive person this side of the Mississippi, (that's debatable... I can't quite decide if I am...) Melissa has some wonderful and fabulous ideas to help move the process along.
The first meeting went something like this:
Me: I want it like this and like that and like this and like that.
Melissa: Ok, let's do this.
Me: Good. It's settled then. See you in three weeks.
She informed me that we don't have to make any hard plans at this first meeting.
I told her with every fiber of confidence in my being that I am "not afraid to commit to the plans."
Wait. What were those words spilling out of my mouth?
I just wanted to her to think that I wasn't going to be one of those "difficult brides." Or I suppose wishy-washy could also work.
I left that meeting feeling great about all things discussed... except for the sleeves, and the neckline, and the fabric, and the color... 
I waited a day to contact her in fear that my indecisiveness was only happening because she said I could change my mind and it would be okay. Don't give me options, I will definitely abuse them.
I finally mustered up enough courage to email her (I couldn't call her because I did not want her to hear my weakness through the phone.)
I told her of all the things that I was unsure about and how I didn't want to seem difficult but, I think I want to change a few things.
We had a second meeting.
Melissa: You don't have to make all the decisions now. We can conjure up an outline and work outwards from there.
Me: SIIIIIIGGGGHHHHH.
She just gets it.
And so we spent the afternoon brainstorming ideas and making me feel comfortable again. The stress of the wedding dress is no longer and I now I know that I will at LEAST have a dress for the day. If nothing else, it's all I need.

this is actual brainstorming at its finest.

No comments: