Monday, October 25, 2010

power outage

The power went out last night... around 2AM.
It was so strange. I was watching episodes of Scrubs and Kirk was working on websites or something and all of a sudden everything just shut down. Kirk and I sat there for a second staring at the darkness thinking that we must have done something to create this power outage. We immediately looked outside and realized that all the streetlights and buildings, except for the hospital, had no power either. Of course Kirk's response is that the world is ending or aliens are going to come and eat us. I haven't had a power outage since I was living in Washington... probably for about 5 years. I remember growing up, it was not uncommon for the lights to go out for days at a time and I thought it was SO cool. We would play games at night with flashlights and eat BBQ every night and the best part was, NO school. A kid's heaven.
The silence was getting to me. I was getting stir crazy. We couldn't do ANYTHING! How pathetic is that!? Kirk and I discussed how we probably would be the first to die in a situation like this because our skills are useless in a powerless world. Well, at least Kirk wouldn't be able to make a living making websites. Sad how much we depend on electricity these days. But, whatever, I am not ashamed. I am a true woman of the 21st century. Sue me.
Luckily, the power came back on within a few hours.

In other news, I officially resigned from my job in American Fork. I just could not do it. And I know in an economy like this, it was probably a dumb move. But, when I was to the point of tears every day or so depressed to go to sleep because I had to wake up the next morning to work... or when my ulcer returned, I just couldn't stand to work one more day there. It wasn't HORRIBLE. No one was particularly mean to me, it just made me feel unsatisfied with life. I need human interaction. That is what I have learned about myself. I am now going to confess that I really do miss Shade. I miss the girls, I miss the customers, I miss the craziness and the unorganization of corporate. I believe I can say that now.
Anyway, I am now in the market for another job. But this time, I'm looking for part-time because I am going back to school in January and I can't have a full-time job for that. :)

Also, this is my new favorite song. Natasha Bedingfield has the gift of making happy music. It's true.

3 comments:

erika danielle eddington said...

Alix, I don't blame you at all for quitting. When you feel are having panic attacks and all you feel is pure dread when thinking about your job...something is not right. I hope you are able to find something soon.

trudy...{and jamo} said...

oh alix, i am so proud of you!
i totally agree with Erika.

That is so exciting you are going to school next semester, i want details.

lunch? yes, please. party? yes, please.

i loved when the power would go out when i was little. it was so fun to light a bunch of candles.

Becca said...

oh i know that feeling of practically having an anxiety attack just thinking about going to work the next day. don't you feel so relieved.